Leave a comment
March 2, 2018 by lucieromarin
Or: How to Confuse Your Friday – Bi-ritual Lent cont’d.
- Forget to check your Maronite liturgical calendar (or, possibly, forget that we’re in March and look at the wrong day.)
- Feel hungry.
- Message your dearest Maronite friend to tell her that you’re hungry, so that, even though she’s busy fasting, meditating, working, running a household and bathing the feet of the infirm poor, she has to message back to tell you it’s a Maronite Feast Day.
- Agonise at the memory of your vegan lunch and the thought that you didn’t buy a massive doughnut on the way home because it is Friday.
- Consider that you still have dinner to think of and skip to the fridge in anticipatory delight.
- Suddenly remember that, while you’re attempting a Maronite Lent, you’re still canonically Western, and today is a Friday.
- Stop skipping and stand very still.
- Wonder if there’s any chance that today is a feast in the Western calendar, too.
- Peer at your Roman-parish-bulletin calendar on the fridge and realise that it ends at the beginning of Lent because you haven’t been to a Western Mass for a new calendar because you’re now Maronite.
- Figure that eggs and cheese will be feast by Maronite standards and abstinence by Latin standards.
- Make an omelette.
- Happy Feast!